Bike! Walk! Northwest Georgia membership is composed of citizens, government agency representatives, and business representatives interested in transportation planning pertaining to bicycling and pedestrian activities.
To devise a plan and programs to facilitate and promote the safe use of bicycles and walking as viable modes of transportation and recreation for all ages and skill levels; through the pursuit of infrastructure improvements, such that all cities and counties in the 10 county region are interconnected with bike and pedestrian trails and paths.
- Promote connections between land uses via bike/ped facilities; e.g., connecting neighborhoods to schools, employment centers, cultural resources and shopping areas.
- Promote education for bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists about their proper relationship in traffic.
- Identify and seek support, both monetary and political, for bike/ped initiatives.
- Encourage maintenance of roadways to eliminate hazards to cycling/walking (debris, utility caps, drainage grates, R/R ties, etc.).
- Integrate bicycling/walking into the transit system through the transportation planning process.
- Promote the renovation of existing road and bridges and the design of new structure to facilitate safe cycling.
- Promote the establishment of bike facilities in conjunction with Greenways.
- Implement the three Goals, and supporting objectives, as outlined in the Executive Summary:
- Develop a Regional System.
- Promote Bicycle and Pedestrian Activities.
- Promote Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning.