County Formed: December 3, 1832
County Seat: Cartersville
Incorporated Cities: Adairsville, Cartersville, Emerson, Euharlee, Kingston, Taylorsville and White
Total Area: 459.9 square miles
When Bartow County was established in 1832 from Cherokee County, it was named “Cass County” after Lewis Cass, Secretary of War under President Andrew Jackson. The name was of Michigan. Nearly 30 years later, General Cass’s abolitionist views became an embarrassment to the Confederate populace, and the county’s name was changed to honor General Francis S. Bartow, the first Confederate General to die in the Civil War.
Cassville, the original county seat that was burned by Union Forces in 1864, was the site of the first Georgia Supreme Court decision in 1846.