Incorporated: January 21, 1854
County Seat: Blue Ridge
Incorporated Cities: Blue Ridge, McCaysville, Morganton
Total Area: 385.8 square miles
Fannin County was created in 1854 from parts of Gilmer and Union counties. Georgia’s 106th county was named for Colonel James W. Fannin of Georgia, who, with approximately 350 volunteers, fought in Texas’ War of Independence from Mexico. Fannin and his regiment were captured and massacred in 1836. Fannin’s county seat, Blue Ridge, is named for the southern reach of the Appalachian Mountain Range which stretches into the county.
The last remnants of the Cherokee Nation found shelter in the mountains of Fannin County before their removal west along the “Trail of Tears” to Oklahoma in 1838