Incorporated: December 3, 1832
County Seat: Ellijay
Incorporated Cities: Ellijay, East Ellijay
Total Area: 426.7 square miles
Gilmer County was created in 1832 from part of Cherokee County. Georgia’s 84th county was named for George Rockingham Gilmer, a State Legislator, member of Congress, and Georgia Governor from 1829 to 1831 and from 1837 to 1839. Ellijay was the site of an Indian village and bears an Indian name meaning “earth green there.” Cherokee Indians lived in this area until their removal in 1838 to Oklahoma via the “Trail of Tears.”
Nearly half the territory of Gilmer County is within the Chattahoochee National Forest and is protected from development by the Federal Government.