Incorporated: December 3, 1832
County Seat: Chatsworth
Incorporated Cities: Chatsworth, Eton
Total Area: 344.4 square miles
Murray County, created in 1832 from part of Cherokee County, was named for Thomas Walton Murray, a Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives.
One version of how Chatsworth got its name, is that a sign fell off of a passing freight car. The sign was placed on a pole by the tracks and the name stuck.
Among the county’s attractions are the Vann House Historic Site at Spring Place. Constructed in 1805 for James Vann, a Cherokee chief, the two-story red brick home was built alongside the Federal Road, a major early path in northwest Georgia.