Incorporated: December 30, 1851
County Seat: Dalton
Incorporated Cities: Dalton, Cohutta, Tunnel Hill, Varnell
Total Area: 290 square miles
Whitfield County was formed from part of Murray County in 1851. Georgia’s 97th county was named for the Reverend George Whitefield, the founder of the Bethesda Orphan House in Savannah. The spelling of the county’s name was changed to reflect the way it was pronounced.
Dalton is the gateway to the 150 mile Chieftain’s Trail which traces the path of the Cherokee Indian sites located in northwest Georgia.